Monday, July 28, 2008

On-line angst

Facebook is my new obession. I have to resist the temptation to check my page when at work. Speaking of work, though, some of my new friends are also people I supervise, which I have a sinking feeling will somehow lead to something terrible.

My newest Facebook conundrum: Rejecting friends. Is it possible to "ignore" a friend request? Example, dorky dude from high school that finds me 15 years later in cyberspace. I rationalize that if I ignored someone for 10 years through out elementary, middle and high school, is it any surprise I would continue that practice?

Another problem, breaking up with friends on Facebook. Like, are you allowed to kick someone out of your friend circle? When you first start Facebook, you're all greedy about your new friends--confirm, confirm, confirm. Then, just like the boys you "dated" in college, you wish you had been more selective. There is one early confirmed friend that I have (no one that would read this blog) who clearly has a more social cyber life than real life. He/she is so busy on Facebook, it totally clogs up my newsfeed. Do I really care which TV fan groups this person joined? Do I care what he/she thinks about every photo all of his/her other friends posted? (I just realized that while I am trying to protect this person's identity, I don't have any guy friends.)

For now, I guess I will will be more selective and ignore people that I would normally ignore in real life, and just tolerate those who think we are friends. Ah, Facebook really is like real life!

2 comments:

lmha said...

Oh yes, the younger set of people who were originally the only intended users of facebook (20 year olds) regularly de-friend people,like if they break up. I don't know if someone even KNOWS if you de-friend them. Like if FB tells you, "Hey, somebody dumped you." Maybe you just can't access their page anymore, and have to wonder, was it me? What did I say? Or is my stupid computer acting up again (which many only semi-tech savvy people might actually believe is happening). Who knows. Who knows. FB, the new, the eternal, high school lunchroom.

Jill said...

I'm having that same issue which is why I haven't been on it in a while. It's a slippery slope...you want to stare at their stuff but you don't want to be considered a friend. It's 1:45 am and I think this comment will lead to some more really late night FB searching. Damn!