Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Trendy, and we didn't know it (sigh)

People say this all the time, but when I say it, it's true.  When we named Ali "Alison," we only knew one Alison, and she didn't go by Ali.  In fact, she was a closeted "Amy."  (That's for another post.)

Well, fast forward almost five years, to the first day of Pre-K.  I kid you not, this is Ali's class:

Alison "Ali" Moore (the best Ali, in my opinion)
Allison Morris, who goes by Allison
Ally S.
Alexandria, who goes by Allie 

It's so bad, the teachers tell me that they need something else to call Ali.  That's her name, I don't know what to do for you.  Her middle name is Elizabeth, so "Ali E." doesn't really roll off the tongue.  Feeling pressured, I tell them that my mom once called her Ali Beth, and now, that's her pre-school name.

I wish I had just said, try Olivia, it was our backup name.  I'm having visions of the 6 Jennifers and variations of the name in my 40 member pledge class.  Jennifer, the number one name of 1975.  

Sorry, sweetie, we thought we were being original.

No comments: